Finally got around to framing and hanging my undergraduate diploma. I originally wanted to do something a little more elaborate, but after so many years of gathering dust, I decided to just make a border of boards that I worked on (mostly college stuff).
Over the holidays my wife and I had some fun playing Spirit Island. The game describes itself as “The cooperative settler-destruction strategy game”. As a fun project to refresh my Unity knowledge, I built a simple app for keeping track of some of the state. It’s pretty ugly since I just took some low quality photos of the board to use as the UI.
The development went much better then my previous Unity attempts. Looks like they’ve streamlined UI development since I last tried.
Visual Studio Code has been my text editor of choice for awhile. I enjoy that it’s a bit out of left field when it comes to the VIM vs Emacs debates. One feature that I’ve missed when compared to sublime is the ability to easily do find and replace on text segments that span multiple lines: https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/15727
To finally contribute something back to one of these projects, I made a quick and dirty extension that partly added this functionality:
After having a flaky VPS host for a year or so decided to switch to a new slightly less flaky host. I tried to remove some of the weird custom cruft this site has built up to make this easier in the future, but it’s still suffered some inevitable bit rot and some of the formatting got perturbed. I didn’t bother reposting the Java applets this time, though I might actually post the source at some point.
I wanted to do another electrical project that focused on aesthetics. While looking at thrift stores for material for another project I saw some pieces that inspired me. I decided to make a calculator that would light up flowers as a value was computed.
After have locked myself out of my apartment one too many times, I decided that running to make a keyless entry system. I’ve been looking for a project to use a Raspberry Pi in for awhile, and this seemed like a good fit.
After getting the most basic functionality working I realized I had hit a bit of a dead end. SQLJet was severely limited in how it could manipulate the data. I decided to take what I learned and start over. This time I decided to focus on the UI first, and then fill in the backend.
I’ve wanted to document my work from start to finish on a project for a while, so I decided to try a screen capture program. I’ve used a bunch of different programs in the past, but I found that I had good luck with one called “Open Broadcaster Software”. It took a little playing with to get the settings reasonable, but I eventually got it working pretty well, and recorded myself setting up the environment and creating a very simple Pebble app:
I wrote this almost a year ago, but never posted it since I didn’t get a chance to fully comment the code. Since I probably won’t get around to it any time soon, I’m posting it now. I even shoddily converted it into a java applet!
Here’s a simple 2D shortest path planning algorithm written in Java.
I decided to recreate a sculpture I saw while in Spain for my Optometrist to be brother. A very simple project, but I had fun making the lenticular eye.
Continue reading “Object to Be Destroyed”