I’ve wanted to document my work from start to finish on a project for a while, so I decided to try a screen capture program. I’ve used a bunch of different programs in the past, but I found that I had good luck with one called “Open Broadcaster Software”. It took a little playing with to get the settings reasonable, but I eventually got it working pretty well, and recorded myself setting up the environment and creating a very simple Pebble app:
I wrote this almost a year ago, but never posted it since I didn’t get a chance to fully comment the code. Since I probably won’t get around to it any time soon, I’m posting it now. I even shoddily converted it into a java applet!
Here’s a simple 2D shortest path planning algorithm written in Java.
I decided to recreate a sculpture I saw while in Spain for my Optometrist to be brother. A very simple project, but I had fun making the lenticular eye.
Continue reading “Object to Be Destroyed”
Infinity mirrors are an optical illusion that gives the impression of a long corridor, by sandwiching some lights between two mirrored surfaces. I’ve been interested in trying to make a project using this affect, and wanted to do a simple test to see if the window tint I found would work. I was able to get a quick proof of concept working with relatively little effort.
Over the holidays I wanted to come up with a simple project that could be somewhat streamlined for “mass production”. I’ve always liked working with clay and decided to make figurines with some circuitry embedded in them. Of course the circuit had to be functional , so I decided to go with a simple breathing LED controlled with a 555 timer.
My brother and I used to watch the anime Outlaw Star together as kids, so I decided to get him something based on the show as a gift this year. Being a relatively unpopular show that hasn’t been on the air in years, there was basically no merchandise available. So I decided to make my own. This is a clock made to look like the computer Gillium II from the show.
One of my work projects from awhile back popped up on Ars Technica.
I didn’t do too much of the actual meat of the software. My job was mostly to program the inter-board communication, set up the kernel and software on the main processor, and do some of the hardware development to connect everything together.
This work previously had a minor mention in Slashdot http://it.slashdot.org/story/12/12/10/0012217/researchers-find-crippling-flaws-in-global-gps
I have a daily commute that I drive down the US 101 highway. The length of the drive can vary immensely with traffic, and I’ve always been curious what the optimal departure times are. I decided to gather data to solve this empirically, and went on an adventure in finding the right tool for the job.
Here’s a quick project that came together the evening before a long vacation. In order to get a little piece of mind I wanted to set up a simple security camera on a network accessible storage (NAS) server that I had recently set up. What I wanted was a program that could connect to a USB webcam and send me an email with a photo of any motion that occurred.