As part of my work at Swift Navigation I’ve done a lot of work analyzing the results of test runs and building CI frameworks to generate metrics or raise alarms based on the results. One of the challenges is that since the analysis is being performed on devices that are under development, they often create results that violate assumptions made by the analysis code. It can also be hard to trace through the analysis code and come up with the initial failure that led to a missing downstream result.
I made a generic framework to try to help with this sort of analysis.
This idea was based on the concept of making a “Sound Catcher” pixel display. I’ve been wanting to make this for a long time, but only recently made the time to put it together. I originally wanted to turn this into a display for ambient sound in the room, but ended up making it into a general audio display and clock.
The video starts off with the display in clock mode, before showing the FFT of a song being chromecast onto a TV. The audio out is sent to the display. I also use a web UI to change displays and set the brightness.
After getting the most basic functionality working I realized I had hit a bit of a dead end. SQLJet was severely limited in how it could manipulate the data. I decided to take what I learned and start over. This time I decided to focus on the UI first, and then fill in the backend.
I’ve wanted to document my work from start to finish on a project for a while, so I decided to try a screen capture program. I’ve used a bunch of different programs in the past, but I found that I had good luck with one called “Open Broadcaster Software”. It took a little playing with to get the settings reasonable, but I eventually got it working pretty well, and recorded myself setting up the environment and creating a very simple Pebble app:
I wrote this almost a year ago, but never posted it since I didn’t get a chance to fully comment the code. Since I probably won’t get around to it any time soon, I’m posting it now. I even shoddily converted it into a java applet!
Here’s a simple 2D shortest path planning algorithm written in Java.
I have a daily commute that I drive down the US 101 highway. The length of the drive can vary immensely with traffic, and I’ve always been curious what the optimal departure times are. I decided to gather data to solve this empirically, and went on an adventure in finding the right tool for the job.
Here’s a quick project that came together the evening before a long vacation. In order to get a little piece of mind I wanted to set up a simple security camera on a network accessible storage (NAS) server that I had recently set up. What I wanted was a program that could connect to a USB webcam and send me an email with a photo of any motion that occurred.